Thursday, August 02, 2007

Days of Reckoning

UCLA has just released "A Bad Night at Powell Library," the official account of a story covered last year on Virtualpolitik. It describes the results of an investigation into the tasering of UCLA student Mostafa Tabatabainejad by campus police, which was captured on video by cellular telephones and then distributed throughout the world by YouTube. As someone who has written articles about the physical space of scholarly libraries (and their rules of inclusion and exclusion, which may also have ramifications for the construction of digital archives), it was a story I gravitated toward. Not only have I presented at conferences with librarians, but also as a graduate student I have studied at the same library at which the incident took place.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I have studied at the same library as a graduate student at which the incident took place."

What does this mean?

3:55 PM  
Blogger Liz Losh said...

Got me on the grammar front for an obfuscated sentence! I hope the construction is a bit clearer now.

(Thanks to a massive Windows meltdown, I've been without a computer for a week now and dependent upon the charity of others with their work stations. Regular posting to resume soon.)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Liz Losh said...

At the factual level, it means that I was cross-registered at UCLA for some of graduate school and that even when I wasn't enrolled at UCI's sister institution, Powell Library was also closer to my house.

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I hope the construction is a bit clearer now."

Aha! Got it! Now I've seen the changed version I'm kicking myself for not being able to work out what it meant in the original form, as it suddenly becomes clear.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home